Awaken Your Diet with the Abundance of Spring Produce
By Liz Greenlaw
A healthy eating pattern includes at least 3 cups of vegetables per day. But many of us struggle to meet this quota, especially during those months of the year when there is less fresh produce available. Thankfully, as we transition into the warmer months of spring, we are met with a fresh wave of beautiful produce to choose from – so now is the perfect time to revitalize your healthy eating and cook with these seasonal vegetables!
I’m often asked which greens pack the most nutrition into each bite. Here are my top choices:
• Kale, for its anti-inflammatory and detoxification effects.
• Alfalfa sprouts are versatile and are rich in potassium, which supports healthy blood pressure levels.
• Spinach, because it is high in Vitamin K which is necessary for good bone health. Spinach also helps to increase red blood cell production in the body.
• Avocado is a great source of heart-healthy fatty acids, and it adds a level of satiation to any meal.
• Swiss chard often gets overshadowed by greens such as kale, but chard is rich in Vitamin A and has a distinct feature: its broad leaves can be used as a substitute for bread and other high-carb options if you’re trying to make a sandwich wrap gluten-free.
• Celery and cucumbers – both have very high water content, so they keep you hydrated and feeling full on fewer calories!
One of the best ways to bring vitality to your body is by choosing to eat green, leafy veggies as often as possible. Try this simple salad recipe for an easy way to get in your daily serving and detoxify your body. This is a quick and easy salad that you can whip up almost anywhere, rich in nourishing greens and cleansing ingredients that your body will love!